Directional Drilling Services in Ohio
Work doesn’t have to be boring …
Directional boring, or horizontal directional drilling, is a method of pipe and cable installation that involves minimal impact on the surrounding soil. This method is typically used when conventional trenching or excavating isn’t practical for the location or when minimal surface disturbance is preferred.
Because it is less disruptive, directional drilling is ideal for areas with high traffic or sensitive ecosystems like roads and river crossings. It can also be used for a diverse range of projects ranging from power cable conduits, water lines, product pipelines, sewer lines and more.
Horizontal directional drilling is done in five phases:
- Phase 1: Existing utilities are located.
- Phase 2: Existing utilities are daylighted and protected.
- Phase 3: A pilot hole is drilled.
- Phase 4: Pull back product through pilot hole.
- Phase 5: Daylighted utilities are backfilled and restored.
Not sure if directional drilling is the right division for your project? Harris & Heavener also offers these services.
Do you need help with design, drafting and permitting to get your project started? We can help.
How We Do Directional Drilling
While directional drilling has five phases, there are a lot of details that go into each project. We will:
- Vacuum excavate existing utilities
- Dig and haul material away from project
- Insert pipe
- Backfill and restore area
However, before we ever begin a project, we send our field superintendents to prep our job site. They go out to the location for the project and survey the area to ensure that any potential issues are handled and any outside help, like traffic control from local police, is requested ahead of time. Adding this extra step to our workflow means that we eliminate roadblocks before they happen, ensuring a smooth and efficient project.
We also provide the following services to complement our directional drilling operation:
- Manhole and duct bank construction
- Power rodding
- Jet flush conduits
- Videotaping of underground piping
- Licensed water and sewer contracting